Visiting Sinot



Sinot [see-new] is a young man in his 20’s who I met at the carpentry shop in December while trying to buy a table and chairs. He works on various projects there and from the start he has been good at helping me with language, even though I often cannot understand his accent very well. He introduced me to his family and has invited me over to talk with them on several occasions. He lives with his mother and three sisters. His father has never been mentioned other than that he does not live near him. 

Sinot called the other day and invited me to his home. I was very interested to visit since Ramadan has started and I know that his sister is a serious Muslim and he has hinted, without committing, that he is as well. I was thinking I would see how Malagasy follow the fast and then break it as sunset
Imagine the shock I had when upon arrival at around 4:30pm, while it is still very much daylight, I find everyone except Sinot and his sister, Zahara, drinking beer and I found out they had just finished eating a late lunch. Wow, not what I was expecting at all.

I did meet some new men from their “home village” which is about 100 km away who had come to visit. Thinking their presence might be the reason for the non-fast they said no, it was Mother’s Day in Madagascar and they were celebrating. They also informed me that they did not follow the fast anyway and some of them were not Muslims, but Christians. Now I knew I had some work to do to correct some misunderstandings. In the midst of the party atmosphere I was able to learn some cultural lessons. Additionally, I was able to speak with a couple of them about Christ, but was not able to share the entire gospel. 

Upon leaving, Sinot walked me to the main road as it was already dark. We talked and he seemed a little distant. I asked him about what was on his mind and he said everything is ok. I pushed, but not sure how much to do so culturally, and he replied that he wanted to visit with me. I assured him we could talk then, but he said he could not, and wants to do so later. I have no idea what is on his mind but please join me in prayer that Christ will work on Sinot’s heart. He says he is Muslim because his father is, but that he does not practice or do what he is supposed to do. My prayer is that he will find Jesus to fulfill his longings and desires.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interwoven

Abigail's Baptism at Daytone Beach

The Unexpected