Building Relationships Little By Little


I met Djanfar [john-far] one day outside of my house. Returning home from town with the kids there were two men wearing traditional Muslim dress outside our gate. After letting the kids into the house, I went back outside to meet them. It was more out of curiosity as to why they were standing by my gate rather than hoping to have an evangelistic encounter. However, Djanfar and I had a great talk, nothing major other than introductions, but it was a start. After our initial meeting, I invited him to come over so we could continue getting to know each other. Taking me up on the offer, he arrived one evening with a bag of fruit for us and we sat outside talking. In return I have stopped by his shop on occasion, and Brandi sent some goodies to him and his family. 

Passing by his shop one day can see Djanfar as he stands at the counter in his shop selling basic goods like bread, tea, sugar, candles, and all sorts of snacks there is a steady stream of customers. He is busy with work, yet he takes the time with each person to greet them and quickly ask the news of the day. Seeing the activity going on I hesitate, not wanting to interrupt him, but he has already spotted me. Waving me over with a huge smile I approach and he warmly greets me, informing his customers that this Vazaha (foreigner) is his friend. I greet everyone and they are shocked that a foreigner is attempting to learn Malagasy. (I am shocked they understood me at all)

After greeting me and making introductions, Djanfar returns to attending his customers while also talking with me. While I would love to say we had a deep, spiritual conversation, the truth is it was small talk. How is your family? Your wife? Your children? How is work? It would be easy to get discouraged by such conversations because of my desire to go much deeper. Yet, these times are important I know. They help build a relationship. They help my language, which honestly at this point could not handle a deep theological (or shallow for that matter) conversation in Malagasy. My prayer is to one day share the story of Christ with Djanfar and his family, and his customers, and to see them follow Jesus. 

Little by little progress is being made, I think. It is difficult to know, especially during Ramadan as he is busy with family and religious events. I pray for him often, for more conversations, even short ones, to move forward towards sharing the gospel.  

My prayer, my desire, is one day to be worshiping Jesus with Djanfar and his family. Who knows, maybe he is the person of peace who will open the door for the gospel to flow into his community? Join me in praying for Djanfar and his family that they will know Christ and the power of his resurrection, and that they will live surrendered to him, walking as Jesus walked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interwoven

Abigail's Baptism at Daytone Beach

The Unexpected