Ramadan Reflection June 7



Ramadan in Diego is in full swing. Men are wearing their hats and robes while carrying prayer beads as they make their way to one of the Mosques in town. Women wear colorful dresses and head wraps as they walk in groups heading to prayers. When prayer times are finished groups slowly make their way home or back to work. Many of the men will stop at the khat sellers and buy a few stalks of the narcotic leaves to chew as the women head home to prepare the meal. 


Tonight, as I stepped outside our house, I heard the distant sound of voices. I listened more closely to be certain. Yes, the people from the Mosque down the street were chanting, most likely verses from the Quran. I listened and prayed. 


My heart aches for my neighbors who work so diligently to be good enough, and yet when they die they do not even know if what they have done will be good enough to please their god. If only they would turn to the light and see Jesus, the truth. He is the one who can give them the peace they so desperately cry out for and work towards. In Christ alone, by faith and not through works. How I want to be able to share this message with my neighbors here in town. 


Language barriers make me so angry sometimes, I just want to share the gospel and yet I can barely buy food or have a basic conversation with someone that sounds partially intelligent. How I want to speak Malagasy so that I can have a conversation over a meal or on the street or in our home in order to share Jesus. Faith comes by hearing, yet they cannot hear because there are not many here sharing the gospel. Father, open my mind to comprehend this language and set free my tongue to proclaim your holy name in Diego. Father, the harvest is plentiful please send more workers, and allow the ones here already proclaim boldly and in your power.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interwoven

Abigail's Baptism at Daytone Beach

The Unexpected