Trust God, Not Your GPS



Exploring new places is something I love to do. Whether hiking in the mountains or hiking in a city, discovering new places and seeing new sights is fun. Fortunately, my wife Brandi, also enjoys finding and exploring new places. Living in Madagascar has given us many opportunities for finding and exploring new places as well as new cultures. 

This week we had to come to the capital, Tana, to get our pictures and fingerprints for our visa’s. Brandi and the kids then flew to the US to visit her parents as her mother is working towards recovery after her brain surgery several months ago. Friday, I found myself with a day to go exploring the city before heading off to another city for some intensive language study.

There were a few stores I wanted to find and so I set out around lunchtime after taking care of some other tasks. Taking a local bus I headed out into new territory hoping I would at least come close to where I was trying to go. Thanks to people on the bus I found the exact place I was looking for. A great way to start. 

After looking finding a few places I was looking for and finding some new stores which were very interesting, I decided to just wander towards downtown. Now some of you may think this is reckless and scary, and maybe it is for some, but that is not how I see it all. I met some very helpful people, found many shops I do not need anything at, and saw some really neat architecture and other sights. It is impossible to describe it all: the noise of traffic and people, the smell of roadside stands selling fried bananas or peanuts, or the stench of open sewers. There was a little bit of everything. 

Before going further, I need to make a statement: When exploring I have never been lost, but I have often found new places I was not intending to find. That being said, I was wandering into the city and it was getting later in the afternoon. I noticed most of the people were trying to find a bus or taxi or walking away from where I was heading. I decided that if everyone was leaving the area I was going, I did not really need to go there either and so I joined the masses as they sought to head home. At this point, I had no idea where I was, but I was not lost since I was looking for nothing in particular at this point. 

I decided it was time to find a bus or taxi to head back to the guest house. However, all the buses were packed and people were waiting to find just one available seat. I had walked several miles at this point and was tired and thirsty. Yet, I could not find a taxi or a bus. So, I kept walking. The shadows were growing longer and I knew I needed to get out this area before dark. I prayed and asked God for help. 

Within one minute of praying, in a city of millions of people in which I do not live and know maybe 10 people, I hear someone call out to me! A taxi had stopped in the middle of the road, blocking traffic and the driver yells out, “Johnson! Johnson!” There sits Zo. He is a taxi driver we used the last time we were in Tana, in March. He had a passenger in the front seat but he asked me if I was going back to my hotel. I said I was and he told me to get in. Amazing! In a city of millions, God sends one of 3 taxi drivers I know to where I was to take me home.

Zo and I had spoken before and he is a believer. He told me I was a long way from home. He asked if I was lost. Just exploring I replied, just exploring. I proceeded to tell him he was an answer to prayer and he just smiled and said God is always in control. 

Reflecting on all of this I am reminded of a few things. First, I remembered what it was like to be lost, really lost, and have no clue where to turn. Sometimes you don’t even know you are lost, or you won’t admit it. Second, when you are lost you need someone to show you the way. Third, the relief of someone calling to you, by name, when you are lost is priceless. Jesus calls us by name, just as Zo called out to me. I knew Zo would take care of me and get me back to my guest house. Jesus will do the same for all of us. He calls us, by name, and is waiting to show us the way to the Father. He is the way, the truth and the life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interwoven

Looking for Rice in all the Wrong Places